If you are a Houston Dynamo fan, you have a lot to be thankful for on this Labor Day weekend. We not only live to fight another day for that 5th and final playoff spot, but we did it by dominating our rivals, Sporting Kansas City.
Even though we are still mathematically in the playoff hunt, that does not mean that it will be easy to qualify. In fact, even though we won, a certain website that calculates playoff chances has us at 7.5% probability of making it to the post-season.
Not every result went our way this week, though; Chicago Fire beat FC Dallas, thus proving that the team from Southern Oklahoma is completely useless, and New England Revolution beat Toronto FC.
However, two other results kind of helped us a tad. Montreal Impact pulled an upset against Columbus Crew and D.C. United ended up beating New York Red Bulls. Those two results keeps the final playoff spot 5 points away from us.
Since Columbus Crew currently hold that final spot, we should really be kicking ourselves for losing against them. The good news is that we face them at home in a couple of weeks! That means we still have some control of our destiny.
As we stated in a previous article, the Houston Dynamo needed 20 points out of their final 10 games in order to have some hope of making it into the playoffs. That meant winning the final 5 homes, and at least getting 5 points from our 5 remaining away games. Only one game has passed since that article, and now we only need 2 points from our final 4 away games. Obviously, all of this is assuming we beat Montreal Impact, Columbus Crew, Chicago Fire, D.C. United, and New England Revolution at home.
We also have away games against every single team in the playoff hunt for that fifth and final spot, except for Columbus whom we face at home. Which means this playoff race is going to get even closer than it already is. That’s saying a lot considering that the only team that is realistically eliminated in the Eastern Conference is the Montreal Impact.
Here are some things to keep in mind when following the playoff race:
- English Premier side Queens Park Rangers is currently in talks with Toronto FC (4th) to acquire Jermain Defoe.
- Toronto FC fired their coach over the weekend so they are in chaos.
- Toronto FC has played one game less than us. (24 vs 25)
- 3rd-5th are tied at 33 points, so even third place is a possibility if we accomplish our goal of 17 points in our final 9 games.
- Columbus Crew (5th) has played one more game than us (26 vs 25)
- The Houston Dynamo are tied for second to last in worst goal differential (-18) and have allowed the most goals in the league (46 average of 1.8 per game)
Rooting Interests for this week:
- Philadelphia draw against Toronto FC (Wednesday game, 6PM on MLS Live)
- Sporting KC over New England Revolution (Wednesday, 6:30PM on MLS Live and Univision Deportes)
- Toronto draw against Philadelphia or winner of Wednesday game loses this match (Saturday, 1PM on MLS Live and Univision Deportes)
- Sporting Kansas City defeats New York Red Bulls (Saturday, you should be at the Houston Dynamo home game, 6:30PM on NBC Sports Network)
- HOUSTON DYNAMO over Montreal Impact (Saturday, 7:30PM at BBVA Compass, MLS Live and CSN)
- Chivas USA over Columbus Crew (Sunday, 2PM on UniMas formerly Telefutura)
- New England Revolution tie against Chicago Fire (Sunday, 6PM on MLS Live)
There you have it! That’s all you need to know this week to follow the Houston Dynamo’s playoff race. Don’t forget to visit the site daily for updated scenarios and other news.
Follow Orange in the Oven on Twitter.
Like us on Facebook.